Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

July 5, 2015

CATTAILS AND SUMMER EVENINGS



The close of a delightful Wisconsin summer day... how else could I describe this Sunday with pen and ink in my journal.  I'm sitting on the inner pond dike listening to the birds sing - young red -winged blackbirds, warblers, and mourning doves cooing in the distance.  They blend together perfectly, each with their unique calls.

I'm admiring the new growth on the cattails  as nine of them stand tall between me and the pond showing their soft and new velvety brown growth.

The white lily pad flowers have closed up their petals but will open again tomorrow morning to welcome another day.   A small bass leaps out of the water and leaves circular swirls on the pond's surface.  I hope it was lucky and caught some supper.


The elderberry bushes are in full blossom now and look more lush and full than I can ever remember.  In one short day, if no one intervenes, the birds will pick the berries clean as soon as they turn purple.  I remember my mother making elderberry jam when I was a kid.  She would place the berries in cheesecloth and let them drain over a large kettle after cooking them.  I don't remember eating the jam but I'm sure it was tasty.

 
The gentle breeze and OFF are keeping the mosquitoes at bay this evening.  My silence is interrupted by the telephone ringing in the garage but I know I won't reach it in time to answer so there is no use trying.  I'd rather sit here and wait for another fish to jump out of the water.


5 comments:

  1. Wow the Elderberries are beautiful this year, I should bring back memories and process some for you Kay, it is good on ice cream for sure. I like it best that way

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very interesting Kay. The way you describe things puts a picture in ones head that is there to stay I luv cat tails. always have. Keep up the good work with your beautiful words of wisdom and knowledge of the woods and your surroundings. Shirley Fuller Pittsville

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley... soaking it all in! Feeling lucky!

      Delete
  3. How lovely the elderberry plant is, thank you for sharing Kay. r

    ReplyDelete