Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

November 8, 2016

What is Your Legacy?

I wrote this post in my journal several days ago and I don't have it on hand so I'll try to reinvent it today.

I'm not sitting outside where I want to be on this Indian Summer day, beneath a tamarack tree or on a creek bank, but I can see golden oak tree tops through my window.  They glow in the afternoon sunlight prettier than any fluorescent city lights at night.


My title is asking you an important question, one I've thought about often in the last few years.  I believe what you leave behind for your family and friends is so important.  Wealth and material things don't seem to be at the top of my list.  What's important to me is probably pretty clear if you've been following my blog posts.  I'd like to think you're enjoying the vibrant reds, oranges, yellows, and golds of Autumn right now.  I'd like you to find wonders in every season, even small but precious things like drops of dew on spiderwebs, the swirling center of a daisy, bark peeling off a shaggy river birch tree, or as written in my bio, "the moss that grows on the oak tree just down the street".


Why is sharing the love I have for nature so important to me?  I have to dig down deep and pull it out in words, that's kind of hard, but not really.  I think about how so many people go about their day thinking only about their inside walls world.  I feel sad for children who've never picked up a toad or a caterpillar.  Exploring and spending time outdoors can bring you needed inner peace, there may not be a lot of action happening in your back yard or local park, but if you look hard enough and open up your eyes you will see something beautiful in nature every time.  Observing nature is easy to do.  The outside world reminds us how small we are in nature's grand scheme and how miraculous things happen every day.  It restores our broken spirits and makes me step back and realize how lucky I am to be a part of God's wonderful Wisconsin.

When I m gone I'd like to think someone might say, "She taught me to notice the sunsets a little more often."  Yes, that's what I hope my legacy will be and I'd like to think others who come after me will share the same legacy that I do.




























13 comments:

  1. So beautiful Kay. I am so happy that I have been able to be apart of your wonderful thoughts and words. In your books, in person and your blogs. May you find peace and joy as you continue your journey to your next destination. God Speed Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kay, for showing me things in nature I had not seen before. I treasure all the comments you have made on nature pictures I have posted. I can't tell you the number of times I have said, "Oh, look! Kay took a picture of that (tamarack tree, mushroom, cardinal flower, etc) and now I know what it is!" You have shared so much, truly a legacy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evening Miss Kay, We got aquainted and become friends thru Gil.Thanks for all the photo's, showing me so much of Mother Nature and her beautiful world There was things i never knew existed. That showed us what you seen. Something us city folk(that is what i call us) never get to see. We got to see this thru your eyes. Thank You for that. Your beautiful blog's keep us looking and watching for more. My Sweet friend "rest"now, Sending lots of love and Prayers {{{huggs}}} Shirl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well put, I just read this to Jack. We have enjoyed your journaling, nature is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. my sweet sister , I will cherish every word you have written and make copies for anyone who asks for them . Your words will last forever you have truly given all of us a gift beyond words. I cannot even begin to express how much you have given all of us.
    Love you forever your sister

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Kay, although we've had few face to face interactions, I've always enjoyed and looked forward to your blog posts. You're a very amazingly talented woman! It was so refreshing to find that someone else noticed the dew on the spider webs and the specific designs in the moss on the trees... that you appreciate their intricate details as much as I. You have an amazing talent in the way you paint pictures of beloved woodlands in my mind complete with chattering birds and squirrels, with frogs and crickets adding to their song. You've brightened my corner of the world with your gentle quiet way for which I'm forever grateful! Wishing you peace, comfort and a heart overflowing with love. I think it would be safe to say congratulations on a legacy of the most beautiful kind! Sending you my love and appreciation for showing that there still is so much beauty around us! You'll always have a special place in my heart Kay.

    - Watching each new sunset with your words echoing through my soul - Erin Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Kay, As God has created them, you have seen them. You have shared what was intended and made us all live and see what is important as an crucial part of who we are. Thank you for sharing and showing us so much through God's eye. Now with God watching you, his beautiful flower. Forever thankful. R

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our family has been blessed to have you in our lives & family! You will always be a special part of the nature we all love & enjoy! God bless you & Tom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somehow I find myself here everyday looking for inspiration, and even though I know you are gone Kay, I have that incredible thought that you are going to post one more....Forever grateful, r

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sweet little sister how I miss you, forever in my heart

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's Christmas evening. Many thoughts went through my head today and one was remembering a blogger I used to follow and whose book I read - a woman so filled with the wonders of nature, always looking beyond her past her journal and pen, past her long legs and boots to the nature in front of her. Over the past year, every time I saw something wondrous on a walk or just outside my window I thought of Kay - a woman I never met but felt a kindred spirit. To Kay's family - I am so sorry for your loss. She will always be on my woodland path.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad we can now enjoy Kay's total Blog in a book! Thank you Kristen for helping Kay make this a reality. The book is available on Amazon under Wisconsin Nature Blog.

    ReplyDelete