Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

July 12, 2015

DRAGONFLIES & REUNIONS

 
I'm soaking up summer today, dodging deer flies, observing dragon flies around the pond, and watching bass swimming near the bulkhead.  It's a beautiful afternoon.  The heat and humidity keep me from adventuring off too far but I'm thankful there is so much to enjoy pond side, not far from our cabin door.

Dragonflies of various sizes and colors are darting everywhere, some mating, some with wings a bit tattered, and all seem to be enjoying the day like I am.

A few small bass are making their way to the water's surface looking for supper.

As I capture a few pictures a deer fly bits me in the finger.  Oh well, time to move on.  Deer flies hang on the edge of my visor as well as I walk along the dike of the pond.  Bug spray doesn't curb deer flies, only head nets, and I noticed this morning my hubby has them laying out and ready in the basement.

The purple hardhack flowers are beginning to appear in full bloom at the pond's edge.  They remind me that it's almost family reunion time - the end of July near my Grandfather and Aunt Susan's birthdays - when we fill old fruit jars with wild flowers to decorate our picnic tables for the occasion.  It's a nostalgic time of the year, so many memories wrapped up from past family reunions filled with family chatter, photos, history, and friendship.  It's a day I really look forward to.

 
The busy dragonflies seem to enjoy the sunnier places over the water and avoid the shade where I am sitting now as I make my way back to the cabin.  Their wings shine prettier in the sunlight.  Maybe they want to be seen and not missed, and that's a great idea...


                    

... Because

     Dragonflies 

    Symbolize 

    Victory!

2 comments:

  1. Great post so touching and real , one of these days I am going to print them all , I like to collect printed stories of yours my sweet little sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of "In three short minutes he had come and gone..." in Fleetwood Mac's "Dragonfly." I remember seeing many dragonflies the first week in September going back to school.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsH7mVmFBec

    ReplyDelete