Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

July 26, 2015

WILDFLOWERS & FRIENDS

Indian Paintbrush flowers, with a green and silver bug that couldn't be prettier!
This morning I took a walk down Todd Road while the heavy cloud cover kept the hot sun from pouring down on me.  The deer flies weren't too thick nor mosquitoes and my walk was pleasant and peaceful.  I spotted a doe up ahead on the south side of the road, all alone, but she bolted when I came within fair photo distance.  
Beetles busy on a yellow mullen.
Unknown bug on a  common yarrow flower.
A catbird called to me as if to say I was disturbing his world.  He jutted from tree branch to branch, first perching in an oak tree, then a birch, and a white pine, until he flew off into the thick woods.

Most of all, this morning, I enjoyed seeing wild flowers along the roadside, with ox-eye daisies still most prevalent.  A few Indian Paint brush flowers still remain along with tiny white daisies that are so delicate.  I noticed one small purple aster on the road edge, a sign of late summer, that made me sigh a bit.   
I was happy to see that the fellow that mowed the road ditches missed several milkweed plants, so important to the Monarch butterflies that seem to be harder to spot each summer. 


  

What caught my eye most today, on my short jaunt, were all the amazing little bugs that were enjoying the wild flowers as much as I was.  

If you open your eyes, and look really hard on the flower centers and petals this summer, you'll be amazed at how many insects, spiders, and bees, are carrying on their important activities right in front you.  


A tiny spider resting on a milkweed plant.








       

This beautiful bug found a home on a hardhack steeplebush, my favorite July wildflower!


This bug reminded me of Halloween.  I think he was more than ready for a photo op!





Ants playing farmers, herding their aphids, on a Joe Pye Weed this morning!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Nature photographer you are. These photos are absolutely amazing!! I don't know what else to say other than, THANK YOU Kay! r

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim says you need to write a book with these in it! He loves your stories that go with the photo, I am not alone in singing your praises, think about this as the next book! r for Jim

    ReplyDelete