Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

October 25, 2015

TRUMPETERS & TAMARACKS

This weekend I'm reflecting on a year of memories with my friend, Rosie, and so many others involved in efforts to restore Sherwood Lake in southeastern Clark County.  A dam failure at this favorite local spot back in February of 2014, has left the lake high and dry.  We've been busy fundraising to get the lake restored since last October when we started up a group called Friends of Sherwood Lake.

The golden tamarack needles and rust colored oak leaves are reflecting on the surface of our pond today too, with help from a clear blue sky, bright sunshine, and no wind worth mentioning.


Earlier this week, I was sitting out by the pond in late afternoon when I heard a distant trumpet call, high up in the southeastern sky.  It was a welcome sound, one I don't hear often, but one that lights up my world.  It didn't take long until I spotted six trumpeter swans heading my way and watched them continue flying overhead toward the northwest, passing our place by.

I like to challenge nature so I shouted out loud, "Hey, you guys, come back!"  Abruptly, and to my shear amazement, the swans quickly turned around and landed near the bistro bench, where I'm sitting today writing in my journal.  There were two adults and four young swans in the group and they kept their distance, swimming back and forth along the far edge of the pond.  Thankfully, I was able to walk back to the cabin, grab my camera, and take a few pictures before they left.


Three days later, I drove out to Sherwood Lake for some needed therapy.  After spending time walking along the edge of the dry lake bed, I pulled up by the fundraising sign and parked my car.  Our group's efforts are nearly over and I wanted to update the meter.

It was about 1:30 p.m. when I finished marking up the large plywood sign posted at the lake's entrance, and I began hearing trumpet calls to the north.  Looking into the sky overhead, I saw six trumpeter swans, two adults and four young ones, flying high above me.  I grabbed my camera from my pocket and snapped a few pix as I watched them slowly glide down and settle in to the far west end of the marshy lake bed.  Then all was quiet and peaceful.  I felt as if the swans, perhaps the same ones who visited our pond the other day, were giving me a sign, and letting me know that everything is going to be o.k.



 
Plans are now underway to dredge the lake this winter and repair the dam next summer.  It's been a grand year of memories, and thanks to the hard work of so many people, it won't be long until the swans have their water back at Sherwood Lake.


3 comments:

  1. Another great blog! The Friends of Sherwood Lake have done a great job with lots of hard work to raise the funds. Thanks to all of you.I would agree that the Swans may have well been a sign to you. I look forward to your blog each week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome and inspirational story bringing all your efforts to a great job well done, and it will be recorded in history and our grandchildren and great grandchildren will have Sherwood Lake back a grand place for the future it is was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Job well done dear and faithful friend! As the Swans call and teach, may their listening to you inspire the hope that springs eternal. r

    ReplyDelete