Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

October 11, 2015

HERE TODAY, GONE TOMORROW - AUTUMN LEAVES

I shouldn't attempt to describe the beauty of this October Wisconsin day because I'll never do it justice.  With temperatures in the 70's, clear blue sky and sunshine, and just the right shades of yellows, reds, oranges, rusts, and magentas, today has indeed been put together like a perfect autumn quilt!

A light breeze blows through the treetops, casting shadows on my journal, while I sit near the creek with my back against a white pine tree.  Pine needles coat the forest floor beneath me, but maple leaves are settling atop them and stealing the show.


When I arrived at this spot to ponder, I startled a partridge with my camera.  He saw me well before I ever saw him and that's usually my experience with partridges in the woods.

The smell of October in a Wisconsin forest, the aroma of fallen leaves, is something I always welcome.  I'd best describe it as earthy, sweet, and maybe a little bit spicy.  If you've ever smelled autumn, you'll know just what I mean.  It tends to leave you with a kind of nostalgic feeling.

The wind today is covering up the forest sounds but I can hear a few chickadees, blue jays, and squirrels in between the gentle swishes of the pine branches.  It's been a long week for me, but I'm starting to turn the corner and get my strength and good cheer back again.  This beautiful October day leaves me with contentment and thankfulness for the chance to take it all in and share a part of it with you.

Just as I'm about to head back to the cabin, a gray squirrel forages on the ground for acorns and gives me a wink.  As he passes by, ambling along through the freshly fallen leaves, I watch him nibble on a mushroom.




                         When Autumn leaves start falling,
Slowly drifting to the ground,
                   Branches part to an open sky
Where winds blow through

And days turn gray...

'Til we wait for green again.

1 comment:

  1. Ah Fall, yes the smell, air, feel...all great! The picture of the dragonfly is amazing! Such an artist you are! Thank you friend. r

    ReplyDelete