Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

May 27, 2015

WILD FLOWERS AROUND THE POND TODAY

Today I'm photographing wild flowers that are blooming this last week of May, as I walk around the pond. 

May Apples are showing themselves along the driveway at the pond's edge.  The flowers on each plant, or blossoms, will produce a green oval shaped fruit that can be eaten.  Most of the time the "apples" disappear before we think about tasting them, eaten by the critters.



Blue Eyed Grass - One of my favorites, this short lived little flower blooms at the top of a single blade of grass.  It closes up in darkness and opens back up in light.  Blue eyed grass reminds me of my brother, Vern, who taught me the name of it when I pressed wild flowers for a biology class at school long ago.  Yellow Cinquefoil - Bottom left in the photo below is a "take me for granted" kind of invasive little weed that doesn't get much attention.




Wild Strawberry Blossoms - Sweet, tiny, and shiny red berries will be setting on soon.



As I continue my walk on the trail around the pond I see blue eyed grass growing everywhere.  It must be a grand year for this wild flower, with all the right elements.

Yellow Lily Pads - The flowers are up and showing themselves now amidst the pads and are taking over the pond.  What would a pond be without lily pads and dragonflies in springtime and the occasional smacking noises of a bluegill feeding on the water's surface.


I stop for a minute and sit on the bistro bench to take off my knee boots and pull up my poor socks that have managed to slip down around my toes.  Such little nuisances of life!

On the last stretch of my trek around the pond I remember to check under the spruce tree for the pink lady slipper, the only one here, the flower that magically appeared in this same spot many years ago.  And here it is in full bloom today!  One spring, a deer ate it off just after it bloomed so I put some wire fencing around it that's not aesthetically pleasing, but saves the flower.  This is the first time in three years the slipper plant has decided to bloom.  I treasure it!



2 comments:

  1. The famous Lady Slipper appeared again, after 3 years amazing, flowers seem to live longer than people .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I feel much better now that I am caught up with all your blogs! I love the pictures of course, the tamarack are marvelous, it is one of my favorite trees. I have to admit though, I have never seen one up close!
    The May apples I have never seen! Neat, I will go looking.
    Beautiful pics, and stories, nature applauds you Kay! R

    ReplyDelete