Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

May 12, 2015

GREEN TAMARACKS AGAIN!



It's been seven months since I sat with my journal amid the tamarack trees southwest of our cabin and wrote an October 2014 blog post in the little forest that could...

Today, rather than golden needles, I'm enjoying soft green ones as I snuggle up in my winter coat this chilly spring day... and I'd like to share them with you.

Temps are in the 40s and I hope tonight that our apple, blueberry and cherry blossoms don't freeze.

The burnt orange pine needles from last fall and falls passed, blend beautifully with the new green needles that have returned slowly to the trees in the past few weeks.  Although the ground is wet from recent rainfalls, it's nice and dry sitting next to this larger tamarack tree.


If you've ever gotten up close to a tamarack and touched the needles you'll know they are not sharp edged like spruce or pine.   Rather, the needles are soft and tender to the touch.  They want you to remember them and come visit again,  kind of like Grandma when she bakes your favorite pie or chocolate chip cookies.


Winds are swishing through the trees and birds are singing all around me as I journal.  The only bird sounds I recognize are chickadees and crows.  Perhaps there are some warblers amongst them.

A deer trail makes its way through this woods following the easiest and most open route, the one I took.  The low hanging branches, twisted and gnarled together between each tree, make passing through our tamarack woods a little difficult, but well worth the effort. 

Here comes the sun, time to head home and check for wood ticks.  My knee boots help keep them from climbing up my jeans quite well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment