Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

March 17, 2015

I LOVE YOU, DAD

It was a grand day to take a leisurely walk in the woods this past Sunday and my hubby decided he wanted to hike on a trail down a road where the wolves have been causing havoc lately.  He wanted to see where a trail connected up to another trail, guy stuff, and I was excited to go with him and see a new woods I'd not seen before.  I filled my little backpack with my water bottle and camera and off we went. 




























When we reached our supposed
destination for the beginning of our hike, leaving our vehicle along the town road, the first thing we came upon left me with a bit of hesitation.  But then that prior statement came to mind about me not being afraid of wolves and so I was not afraid of them.  I am determined not to let wolves stop me from enjoying the outdoors.  

After walking quite a distance I began to tire out.  When we came to a "Y" in the trail my husband told me to rest while he checked out the trail to the left, so I sat down to fend for myself.   Thankfully, he returned in a short time, and then we both decided to take the trail to the right just to see what was up and around the bend.  There is something about a trail in the woods you know, something that peaks one's curiosity and calls your name out to journey up or down it just... a little bit farther.  

We came upon an interesting oak tree with letters "SP" painted on the base and an old remnant of the letter "S" about five feet off the ground.  And someone long ago left a souvenir now embedded in between the trees as they passed their time here.

You have to look really hard to see the "S" near the top of the photo.  If only the tree could talk I'm sure it would have many stories to tell of hunting days from the past and all the wild and wooly creatures that strolled by, like the two of us this past Sunday.

We headed back toward the town road after my hubby was somewhat satisfied with finding the trails he was looking for.  The day was warm with temps in the 60's and nearly all of our winter snow had melted.  As we neared the car we spotted a piece of shiny blue paper crumpled up on the ground on the trail.  We picked it up and smoothed it out to read the words, my photo doesn't show them very well... words that someone had written on this balloon that drifted for miles and was never intended to land in a woods filled with wolves.  Under a sketch of a park bench the words were written with a black magic marker, "I love you, Dad"




Yeah, I do love you Dad, and I miss you!  What would you think of the return of the timber wolf to Wisconsin?



Rest in Peace, Dad  (9.29.1917 - 9.29.1987)

1 comment: