Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

November 30, 2014

HALF OF A MOON



                    Last evening, after the sun had set, I noticed a half moon in the sky. The moon reminded me of a poem that came my way one night when sleep wouldn't.  I kept the poem alive until morning and then jotted it down so I wouldn't forget it. Why, I don't knowIt's a good example of the nonsensical thoughts that run through a person's mind when sleep doesn't come easily, nonsensical thoughts and silly dreams that usually escape you as quickly as they come, thank goodnessExcept for this one...

  MOON THOUGHTS WHEN I CAN'T SLEEP

I cut the moon in half with a butter knife last night,
And since I made that crooked slice
I let you choose which half you wanted.

You took the east side, so I took the west.

I placed my half of the moon up high in the sky
And I let it's light guide me through the trail in the woods,
To the creek, where the water glistened.

I sat for a spell and listened for the wolves, but they weren't howling...
So I let the light from my half of the moon lead me back home.

Then I snatched it and pulled it down from the sky.





I slipped off my boots when inside my cabin door,
And laid my half of the moon on the kitchen table.

With my butter knife I spread cream cheese on a bagel,
And I nestled my half moon on top of it.

Then I climbed into bed and slept peacefully,
Savoring thoughts of a sweet breakfast treat in my dreams.

What did you do with your half of the moon?

 

 
My favorite socks my daughter-in-law knitted for me!


2 comments:

  1. I seen the other half of your moon tonite as I hunted my last evening of rifle season, the sunset was awesome and I thought of you can your camera and I did not have mine so stored it in my mind for always your sis

    ReplyDelete