Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

November 17, 2014

CHECKING THE TRAIL CAMERA

WHAT'S THERE WHEN WE'RE NOT...

 

















In our neck of the woods we call them trail cameras, and most outdoorsy people own one or two in these parts.  We've owned a few through the years and have one set up out in our woods in most seasons.  Checking the trail camera has become a weekly chore, but a fun chore that always creates a bit of suspense.  It's fun to ponder on what might have been caught... on camera.

Yesterday my hubby and I donned our warmest knee boots and headed across Tom's Creek to retrieve the little postage stamp sized card from our trail camera and replace it with a fresh one.  The snow came about three weeks earlier than normal this fall and the air was very bitter on our short walk, too cold for me to bring along my journal.  As we crossed the creek, tromping through the little trickle of icy cold water, I heard geese flying overhead.  Looking up I saw a huge flock of Canadians heading south in a perfect "V" formation.  I fumbled with my camera but after removing my bulky gloves it was too late to snap a good photo.  So I bid the geese farewell.  

Tom's Creek, named for an early settler and Civil War Captain, Thomas Jefferson LaFlesh


  



                                       
We didn't have far to walk in our south twenty acres until we came to the tree where the camera was strapped up high and elusive.  My hubby quickly pulled out the card and inserted another.  We continued our walk on a loop trail through the twenty searching for any signs of wildlife.  Very few deer tracks showed themselves in the fresh snow.  The yet unfrozen ground squished softly under our feet.  Cold breezes stung my cheeks as I hadn't yet acclimated myself to the winter-like conditions that had crept upon us so quickly this season.

Upon entering our warm and cozy home after our walk we gathered around the desktop p.c. and inserted the trail camera card in it's tiny little slot.   We learned that two deer had walked through on the trail in the day light, one at a time, single file, both bucks.  The first was a nubbin buck and the second was a unicorn. 


























Ah, it was not really a unicorn, of course, but a little buck who lost one of his antlers.  Perhaps he was in a sparring match with a buck of similar size and got the short end of the deal.  But there he was, not a trophy, and at least we caught something! 

In the past we've been fortunate enough to capture wolves, bobcats, skunk, fox, crows, fishers, raccoons, blue jays, squirrels, a weasel, black bears...  and someone pushing a wheelbarrow!  Gotta love our trail camera.  How fortunate we are to have a chance to see what's there when we aren't there.  I think our fathers would've loved the concept.




No comments:

Post a Comment