Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

April 23, 2016

APRIL WILD FLOWERS

Marsh Marigold

























Instead of rambling, I've decided to post photos of the wildflowers near my home that I captured with camera today.  Marsh Marigold or Cow Slips, as my family calls them, bring back fond memories of the marshy area near Grandpa Adam's cabin where I grew up.  One of the earliest recollections of my childhood was of springtime and Aunt Susan carrying me to the marsh when she came to visit so she could see the cowslips blooming.  The marsh was a sea of yellow...  I can still see it in my mind.

Violet







Hepatica



















Spring Beauty
Wood Anemone

Adder's Tongue or Trout-Lily
I have to admit the yellow trout-lily is one of my favorite wild flowers at home.  Today was the first day I saw it in bloom at the edge of the woods.  I don't recall ever seeing this wild flower where I grew up just a mile or so south of here.  I find it interesting how wild flowers can appear year after year in one place and never in another that is not far away.

The white trillium is not quite blooming yet.  We only have a few of these flowers left.  Years ago they were thick at the wood's edge but I believe the whitetail deer have eaten most of them off through the years.  When I was young, people said it was against the law to pick trilliums.  Maybe through the years they have come and gone, depending on the deer population.  I'm not really sure.

I hope you have a chance to get outside and enjoy the wild flowers near where you live. They come and go quickly.  Spring is a special season.  Heck, in Wisconsin, all seasons are special!

Just before I took this picture sitting in my "click, click, click, until you get it adjusted the way you want it" old lounge chair... a chickadee woke me up from a nap when it landed on my left boot.  I fumbled with the camera, trying to grab it from my pocket, but I was a little too late.

6 comments:

  1. My favorite spring flower, I too remember the river of yellow in the marsh north of Grandpa Adams cabin. It also meant the school year was coming to an end and summer was on its way. Such beautiful flowers , I heard the old folks say you could eat the leaves like lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting... I wonder how it looks right now back home.

      Delete
  2. Good Morning Kay, what a beautiful array of wild flowers you display for all us city folks to see. I did not know the names of these spring flowers. That is why I called me city folks. lol I love the picture of the painted turtles. That is a beautiful photo of them sunbathing. I'm a city girl at heart but love the info and photos of Mother Natures World, Thanks Kay for enlightening me with this beauty of Spring. {{{hugs}}} Shirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirl, glad to share my world with you!

      Delete
  3. So many painted turtles lined up! Cool! The flowers are wonderful, but the little white one I found the other day is not one of them, I had better take a picture of it for you. Hope it will still be blooming. We have a pond lily as well. We use to have a number of them, but are down to one or two! Nice shot of your pond and shoes, I can picture the chickadee on them!r

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pond lily, cool, I will look for those too. Hope we can figure out your little white flower!

      Delete