Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

January 15, 2016

FIVE JANUARY CROWS



























I'm sitting on a small pile of brush, leaning against an oak tree along Todd Road, with the north wind blowing in my face.  This is the only dry spot I could find to park myself today.  It's 28 degrees, somewhat of a mild spell, and what I perceived to be a good chance to journal out of doors on this mid January day.  Faint peaks of blue are jutting out between the puffy gray overcast sky that has dominated so many of our short and dark winter days lately.

When I first came to this spot I caught a glimpse of five crows soaring high up in the sky, flying swiftly to the east and cawing loudly to one another.  In a short time they disappeared into the tree lined horizon.  Perhaps the crows symbolized the five critters that I noticed had walked across my path down Todd Road before I came along.  One of them colored the snow yellow!

Whitetail Deer


Rabbit
















Red Fox

Partridge


... and Timber Wolves Marking Their Territory
 
Admittedly I'm freezing as I push this pencil around with my bulky gloves on.  My "Eskimo like" attire is failing me despite the balmy temperatures.  The chill of the wind and the dampness in the air is passing right through.  Time to head back home and settle in at the cabin where it's warm and cozy before the nocturnal wolves step back out to pee again.


5 comments:

  1. brave soul going out in the wind and cold today, Ron said the wolves were checking out the changes on Todd Road also. thanks for braving the cold and sharing with us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they walked on the new driveway. They always cross right in that area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to come and look at your wolf tracks and compare them to what is in the driveway! Notice them Saturday. Hmmm...r

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watch out for the wolves enjoy the biscuits and so glad I was able to get into 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep my camera handy to see if I can shoot some of those wolves. Can't wait to try the biscuits, thank you guys!

      Delete