Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

December 29, 2015

WINTER IS HERE!

I forgot how it feels to trudge through seven inches of fresh snow.  Guess it's been a while and I'm getting older as I find myself waddling slowly through the woods with my winter boots and snow pants on this afternoon, the third to the last day of December.

Today is the day after the first real snow storm of the season, and I think our woods needs a visit.  I make my way along the trail to Tom's Creek and then over to the northwest passage where I plunk myself down under an old red oak tree near the edge of the tamaracks and pull out my journal and pencil, with camera on call.

The most striking thing that I notice while sitting here is the sheer calmness that accompanies this new blanket of pure white snow resting on the ground and the evergreen trees.  A few tiny snow flurries land on my coat and amaze me with their intricacies, but the storm has been over for several hours.


I spotted one set of fresh deer tracks and one place where a squirrel had been scratching for acorns in the snow on my way to the creek, but this is undoubtedly a day when most critters are yet bracing themselves for an adventure in the new fallen snow.


Three partridges take flight as I frighten them from nearby spruce trees while I make my way back home toward the cabin.  I look forward to the day when I can capture an elusive partridge on camera.

Bits of blue sky reveal themselves above the thin layer of gray December clouds.  If all goes as planned, there will be a beautiful sunset this evening, at least that's my plan... and I'll be ready for it.

 Although the whole sky didn't light up, I wasn't disappointed this evening with the sunset, a nice way to end a winter's day!

Happy New Year Everyone!


11 comments:

  1. Lovely, I walked with you in every picture! Thank you Kay. r

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you R, some day we will walk the trails together! K

      Delete
    2. I would love to, just let me know when!

      Delete
  2. Kay, You can make the coldest of days, nice and warm, by the description and photos you put in your blog. That is one of the joys of reading your blog. Some day I just know that I'll be rereading the hold thing in book form. Look forward to each and everyone. {{{huggs}}} Shirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirl for your kind comments and for your encouragement too!

      Delete
  3. Good job kay! Your words tell it all!! Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ron... how much snow do you have?

      Delete
    2. We have abit more probalt12 in.

      Delete
    3. Wow, that's a good chunk of snow, Ron!

      Delete
  4. It sure does feel like we are right there with you every step of the walk through the snow, your words capture every detail
    love you little sis

    ReplyDelete