Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

November 15, 2015

CROWS, SPIDERS, & LIGHTNING

As I step outside on this beautiful Sunday morning the blue sky is full of crows trying to chase away an owl.  I follow them around the pond and into the woods where the owl honkers down in the middle of a large white pine tree.  He's hoping the crows will stop harassing him, but no luck.  Before I can locate the owl he flies up and crosses the creek with the flock of crows gathered all around him cawing loudly.  I continue to hear them cackling in the distance as the owl finds another perching tree.  How long will it be until the crows quit playing their game?  Who knows.

I find my way to the mouth of the little Lindsay Creek and sit by an oak tree to write in my journal.  It's almost shirt sleeve weather and I can't believe how many "gift days" we have had this fall.  Two spiders chase each other across my leg but I'm not going to kill them.  They're so little they don't scare me, and besides, my mom said if you kill a spider it'll rain.



I can see Joe-pye weed plants just across the creek standing tall amid the marsh grass.  Their beautiful pink blossoms of summer are only a memory.

 

 

A sturdy little white pine tree stands in front of me and looks full of promise.  It picked a great place to live, right next to the creek in full sunlight.  Some day it will fear lightning when it towers over the other trees, but not for many years to come.




In two more days I'll finish my last chemotherapy treatment if all goes as planned.  It's been a long six month stretch this time.  What's next?  Who knows.  Today... who cares.  There aren't any crows chasing me, the spiders came and went, and a lightning strike is next to impossible!  I'm going to celebrate on this beautiful Sunday by soaking up the sun and looking for red dragonflies. 


 





I found them!










"Take me away from the solitude of nature and I will die swiftly.  

Give me a woods to walk in, a creek to cross, and the sound of birds singing... and I will live forever."

2 comments:

  1. what a gift day to remember and a beautiful November day, now winter does not seem so much to fear as the length has been shortened by these gift days

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, a poet, an artist, a writer....you are a gift to us! r

    ReplyDelete