Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

September 6, 2015

THUNDERSTORMS IN LATE SUMMER

 
Today could be one of our last hottest and muggiest days of summer.  I'm sitting in the screen tent down by the pond, listening to the distant thunder and awaiting the chance for some much needed rainfall.

As dark clouds roll from the southwest to the northeast I'm thinking the storm might go around us.  That's a phrase I recall from my childhood.  Either we got lucky, or we didn't, because the storm went around us.

This is the kind of weather that replicates stepping into a sauna.  I have to admitt I've always disliked these kind of summer days.  The word "dislike" brings me back to my childhood as well because Mom taught me to say "dislike" instead of "hate".

Crows and blue jays are raising a rackett this early and prematurely dark evening.  Apparently the humidity doesn't bother them as much as it does me.  As I sit here outside, sweating, I'm thankful for the air conditioner in the cabin window.  Life is so easy these days for us.




Brief flashes of lightening brighten up the sky and the wind is beginning to pick up.  Perhaps it's best I head indoors.

"Ping", "ping", and an occasional "bang" are sounds I hear from falling acorns in the yard landing on our metal roofs as the wind picks up and swirls the tree branches above me.



I love watching clouds and the magic of an approaching thunderstorm... 

As long as tornadoes stay away, 
and blue skies aren't far beyond the gray.




3 comments:

  1. Good Morning Kay, Seeing this thru your eyes is a beautiful sight for a lot of us who don't live in the country. You describing Mother Natures surroundings so descriptively, puts a whole new look on it for us. That's us city folk talking. lol Keep up the good work Kay. Keep the blogs coming. {{{hugs}}} Shirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog. It makes me feel like I am sitting next to you. It am so glad we were able to visit this weekend. Think of you often! Tami ♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. missed this blog last week, the not days of fall, some called them the dog days of summer, never knew why they said that, really special to hear Mom taught you to say dislike instead of hate, never heard that before, you were a true blessing for her and me too!

    ReplyDelete