Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

August 9, 2015

CARDINAL FLOWERS IN AUGUST


Today was my day to make a trek to the end of the road, visit the East Fork of the Black River, and look for August's gift of cardinal flowers.  My hopes were high before I left home, as each year about this time, this special spot offers a few of these beauties in full bloom.

I put a few light items in my backpack, donned my floppy hat, dosed up with bug spray per my hubby's insistence, and hit the road.  I asked for an hour and a half of time, then a ride back home, and he agreed.

On my walk, I hoped to take photos of butterflies sitting on wolf scat along the road, but my search was in vein.  The town grader recently graded the roads and left no scat behind.  I did spot a few butterflies searching for something, but they were in a hurry and didn't care about my camera.

The cool and humid morning air made for pleasant walking along with the sound of a million crickets.

When I reached the trail at the end of the road the tall grasses and brush were filled with mosquitoes and deer flies but I found my way to the makeshift bridge across the East Fork, sat down to rest and journal, and was not bothered.
I pulled out an old orange Fleet Farm pen from my backpack to write with, but it failed me. 
 

With nothing to pen, I had more time to study the beauty of the river, moss, and flowers growing along its banks.  The cardinal flowers with their brilliant red display did not disappoint me.  They shined in all their glory and made my morning walk all that I hoped it would be!

Old stones from underneath the metal bridge that spanned this creek still remain.  The bridge was removed in the 1930's and now a makeshift wooden bridge sets on the old abutments.  Moss covers the leftover stones so carefully placed there long ago, while the East Fork, with its root beer colored water, keeps on trickling down to the main Black River.



 
To me, there is something 
extra special 
about the 
brilliant crimson color of 
cardinal flowers.  

Every August, 
when they appear, 
I feel a need 
to discover them 
all over again!


3 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful place to be I am so happy you felt well enough to walk so far and the red flowers are awesome at this time every year. The end of the Todd Road is a special place. One ot these days I am goong to print all of your nature blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a stunning flower nature creates. Thank you for sharing, and making it come alive, ready to sail into the sky.r

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that your blog has now been put into a book by your daughter-in-law! It is gorgeous, available on Amazon.r

    ReplyDelete