Sumac Over the Pond

Sumac Over the Pond

April 15, 2015

SOUNDS OF SPRING

I'm sitting out in the woods at the fork of Tom's Creek and little Lindsay Creek, and that's all that matters.  I'm celebrating spring today by enjoying all the sounds that accompany its arrival.



At the top of my list, a sound that I associate most with springtime, is the sound of frogs.  You can say they are croaking or singing or whatever you like.  There is really nothing else in nature that replicates that sweet sound of a frog in springtime.  Today I can hear a gathering of frogs east of me in the distance, down toward the old logging dam.  Tonight they will be very loud, all around the pond and woods.  Right now I can hear two kinds, spring peepers and wood frogs.


Early mornings and evenings the turkeys are beginning to gobble and the first season for turkey hunting begins this week.  I turkey hunted one spring and loved it.  The best part was being out in the woods in the morning when it was still dark yet, sitting there quietly before the sun rose, listening to all the birds as they woke up around me in the tree tops, including a few roosting turkeys.

Another welcome sound of spring is the woodcock with its occasional "peeps" at dusk.  Sandhill cranes, Canadian geese, red-winged blackbirds, hell divers (snipes), and robins all signal spring with their arrival and the beautiful music they make.  Roughed grouse, or partridge as we call them, are drumming now and then around the cabin once again.  The sound the partridge makes reminds me of an old tractor engine starting up.

As I sit here listening to the water flow past me, down Tom's Creek, and hear frogs singing in the distance, I'm reminded that the sounds of a Wisconsin spring are just as special as the sights.  We also need to open up our ears and appreciate the world around us!

BTW - The three legged deer made it through the winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment